Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Ramp Up

When I started training in 1996, I was working my ass off for that first Sprint Tri. In my mind there was no one who wanted it more, no one who dug as deep and no person quite as committed. I can look back to a precise hill workout with my brother on the Mississippi flats that was so intense that I proceeded to toss my previous meal. I was so pissed at Jared for pushing me so hard. I was a broke freshman and that burger and fries were now wasted. At that time, my perception of hard work and my training pain tolerance were a shadow of what they have become. This has been years in the making.

I had a solid seven days of running for the last week in February 2011. The first two months of this year I was able to build my base large enough to throw down an 81 mile run week. Culminating with the 29 miler that instigated my desire to blog. During this 5 a.m. run I had an array of training partners. At first it was some of Denver's finest sleeping on downtown bike paths; then a peppy Labrador in the Highlands, whose dash back to his owner nearly tossed me to the pavement; followed by a tiny white mouse in Westminster, he didn't have much to say but ran at a good clip; most importantly, my brother. He had a lot to say, which was a good thing, as I was two and half hours into my run and the music was stale. We talked about our goals and leaving legacies. I did not get sick this time around. But this effort was just as much a break through.

Why would I choose to run 29 miles? My marathon is 2 months away. My mileage progression is coming along smoothly. That doesn't add up. But as I rolled along, up and over hill after hill in the darkness of this Saturday morning, my mind was clear. I now understood that my goals are set much higher than 26.2 miles along Colfax Ave. Mission RUN. Run for family, run for my life and run for everything I believe in. A large smile formed, feet barely touching the dirt trails south of Louisville with my brother, both sensing a higher purpose.

2 comments:

  1. So well stated! As always, I am right there with you! Let's run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??? Jared is running again???

    Isn't it amazing how "lost" you can get in a run. I dont have the luxury of running outside right now (-3 today), but I have put in some long treadmill miles this winter. I had the same inspiration as you the other day, about a month ago, when I was watching the Packers-Bears game (GO PACK!) and I hoped on the treadmill to watch the 1st half. Well, 20 miles later the game was over, and the Pack won (GO PACK!) and I sat there and thought, wow I just ran 20 miles on a treadmill and feel fine. I wonder what it would be like to do a 50K. I only wish I lived closer to you guys so I could join you on those runs. Miss those days of old.

    ReplyDelete