Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Morning Glory

Legend has it I was the most intense and grumpy child in the mornings and after a nap. A great warrior, I would stare down whomever dare wake me from my slumber! Family members remind me of my devilish scowl to this day. I am not sure exactly when I tipped from stone cold to annoyingly cheerful at any pre-dawn hour. But I love conquering a morning. Now that I am a parent, I struggle when the boys are having a rough morning or a poor post nap attitude. Only a quick reminder of my two year old self provides a little perspective. Realizing it isn't really a choice when you are so young. I let them chill for a few more minutes, give a hug and then get their butts out the door for a bike ride.

As an adult, I realized that being a morning person, waking up with a smile and getting after it are all personal choices. Empowered with my discovery, life as a multi-sport athlete and father was easier. Getting out of bed at 4 or 5 provided me with two hours of additional fitness and more time with my children. I have had a rule since Rocco was born that I would not work out from the time I got home from the office until past his bedtime. It was our time together to go to the pool, hit the park or cruise around the neighborhood. I love this family time and view those action packed 3 hours as a gift.

Losing those daylight hours that were formerly run and bike times is a difficult adjustment. Seize the morning workouts. I found it was easy to train my body to wake up earlier and run efficiently on less sleep. Now, a morning that passes by without some form of exercise just seems odd. Get out early, be safe and savor the sense of accomplishment.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more. Over the years I have become so much of a morning person, drives Emily nuts. After a long cold dark winter in Minnesota, I am finding the need to get out there in the mornings. My morning workouts consist of a morning ride to work. Its hard sometimes this time of year to find the motivation to get out of bed at 515, put on tons of clothes and hop on a bike when its pitch dark and 17 degrees. The funny thing is, it only takes about 2 or 3 times of doing this before I actually feel extremely guilty and disappointed in myself when I do not. I am on day 3 of commutiing for the year. day 4 tomorrow. Thanks for the added motivation and reminders about family time to make me set that alarm for the early morning.

    ReplyDelete