Monday, February 28, 2011

No Barriers

Anytime I can lace up my shoes and hit the pavement I consider myself fortunate. To have the strength and ability to be a consistent runner is not easy. The barriers can be as simple as an injury or as complex as the inner demons that can block even the most dedicated athlete. I am finished with barriers. It is time to be accountable and drive myself with passion and meaning. Let me leave this legacy for my boys; with determination and hard work we can accomplish anything. The years of working towards my goals and miles of running are beginning to pay dividends for me as an athlete and a person. Forever thinking that I would plod along as a an okay athlete are finished. With a new found focus and determination, 2011 will mark the beginning of a pretty awesome quest. That's right, a quest.

It began with a simple realization that my mind was the only thing holding me back in achieving my goals. Why would my own mind tell me that I cannot run all day? Conventional wisdom would sit on my left shoulder and say that long distances are for the wicked skinny guys that had the running pedigree. Not true friends. I am not stating that I will be there first person exploring this side of endurance sports. My goal is to show that anyone can make the transition into this world of distance running. I plan to chronicle my path to the top, run my ass off, motivate as best I can and inspire the only way I know how. By example...

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you! I will be the Minnesota version of you. I feel exactly liked you do. Some day we will hook up and run for hours on end together.

    ReplyDelete