Thursday, March 24, 2011

Results

"To Give Anything Less Then The Best Is To Sacrifice The Gift" ~Pre

I am a fortunate running soul. Having had two above average noon time runs Tuesday and Thursday of this week (Garmin links embedded), I am feeling great going into another big training week. An awesome stretch of weather in Denver and despite the fires in the foothills, I was able to scale Belcher Trail at White Ranch in personal record time. Without much additional effort, I shaved over two minutes off my previous time from August. I followed this trail run with over three hours of cycling between the next tempo run effort. I define these four workouts as a huge success and use them as building blocks for my immediate running future.

During this week, my results were good. But hearing from a close college friend about the impact some of the choices I have inspired in his family life gave me greater satisfaction. Here is an excerpt...

"Hit the 10lbs loss mark today. Am realistically shooting for another 5-ish and then maintain. I want to hover in that 158-160 range. I feel absolutely amazing, and can actually see my abs again. Plus my tight jeans are no longer tight! Honestly, I have been thinking about doing this for the last 5-6 years since grad school. Just never thought I could. Thanks for the motivation bro!

Plus even better, my wife, who has always eaten better than me, but has not worked out ever, has been working out regularly now. The other day she did a hard step class, and was really sore the next day and told me she was going to take the day off. I came home from work to find her doing pilates. She said she just felt like she had to do something and not take the day off. I said, 'Welcome to my world' . She says, 'I get it now' Life is good."

Just awesome. My favorite part is that she gets it now. For me, taking days off is not an option. Just like my friends' wife, you realize how your body is more efficient and happier when you integrate wellness and exercise into your life. Quite often, my wife Nicole will comment on the difficulty of putting up with me and my maniacal fitness lifestyle. I can only respond, "You think it is hard DEALING with me, just try BEING me!" Hopefully, I am joking.

So instead of taking a complete day off, try getting in a slower run, longer walk, some yoga or anything that gets the heart rate up. Use each days wellness momentum to maximize YOUR GIFT.

2 comments:

  1. That quote by Pre got me thinking. I watched the movie "Without Limits" about him last night. I love the way that guy thought about racing and running. Vey good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE SUPER LEAN AND MEAN JOE! That's AMAZING.

    Can NOT wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete