Thursday, March 3, 2011

Leadville Silver King

The summer calendar can sure fill up fast. This year we have an awesome wedding weekend of best friends back in Wisconsin. Yours truly as the Officiant; can't wait for that speech! Vacation time with Grandparents. My beautiful wife and I will celebrate our 10th Anniversary. Rocco will begin soccer and Sawyer will surely join in every chance he gets to sneak on the field. This is a drastic change from the days I began racing in triathlons, when every weekend was open. All for the better!

Let's piece together this jigsaw. With the passing of each season, endurance athletes look to the calendar to determine what races to repeat annually and which new adventures to bring into the fold. For the past several years, the Leadville 100 mountain bike race has been the goal for me and several friends. In the past 5 years, only one lucky friend has gained entry. Out of nearly 25 people I know annually entering the lottery. He crushed the race and this only increased my desire to race in Leadville. A town whose population is unknown to most, but the base Elevation of 10,000 feet is well documented in the racing community. They have built a phenomenal reputation for their events; an entire summer of endurance races aimed at exploding each and every participants lungs. This year, with another LT100 lottery come and gone, time to move on.

What better way to grab that bull then to register for the junior version of this race. I know that it is plenty challenging and spectacular enough to race a 50 mile mountain bike race. But for some reason, I felt compelled to up the ante and register for the 50 mile RUN race the following day. July 16th and 17th of 2011 are shaping up to be pretty awesome. I am ecstatic about these events and the preparation they will require. My team of supporters is assembled and ready. Their principal requirement: listening to my endless droning on and on about my achievements.

The team involved in my quest will be outlined within the next blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment