Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Set Up

As I am nearing the Leadville Silver King Race weekend (50m bike race Saturday July 16th and the 50m run race Sunday) my nerves going full speed ahead. I am not nervous about the distance so much as I am worried about the distance at 10,000 feet. My training is coming along well and the last 5 days have been a really good balance leading up to today's workout.

Sunday - 16 mile single track trail run at Deer Creek with 3000 feet gain in 2:30
Monday - 40 minute easy bike spin and a 10 mile run with tempo efforts
Tuesday - 55 mile road ride up Golden Gate Canyon with 3000 feet gain in 2:45 and an easy 5 mile recovery run
Wednesday - 10 miles of running in two separate outings of 5 mile high tempo runs in racing flats, working on form and speed
THURSDAY - road bike ride from the house at 3:55 am, climbed up Lookout Mountain by 5:30, flew down the hill on the nice new pavement. Then I locked my bike to a tree, changed clothes and ran up the single track trail of Chimney Gulch for 1900 feet of gain in 3.5 miles. Ran back down, changed back into my bike clothes and rode into the office. I felt pretty weak on the run, but was only about 40 seconds slower than my previous best summit time. I will take it!

Now we head up to Aspen for the 4th weekend. Balancing time with my beautiful family and great friends, while trying to get the lungs exposed to some high elevation. Going to be a fun couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. You are making such amazing use of your surroundings! Seems like every morning you wake up and find a new way to explore this fantastic world with heart, lungs and legs!

    ReplyDelete