Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hungry like a...

It has been three days since the Leadville Silver King Victory. My spirits are high, my energy is very high, my quads are slowly coming back around and my toenails might be saved (Thanks Dr. Daniel Kortsch for the red hot pin advice). I cannot believe the support and kind words of encouragement that I have received from so many people. It is surprising, yet very inspiring to know how many friends and family care about what you are doing. I am training for and competing in these events to test my limits and more importantly, to drive others to dig deep in search of the same animal inside of them. Once I was a lone Wolf, but now we are many.

Some of my favorite takeaways from the weekend of racing.
- Seeing Nicole's, Rocco's and Sawyer's faces at all the rest stops and especially the finish. Rocco met me ON the finish line and Sawyer was full body clapping with his mouth agape. I will NEVER forget that picture in my head and it will inspire to the end.
- My wife's hugs at each moment of the weekend. Showing her constant support in my training, my eating habits over the past 6 months (How much cereal can a person eat in one week? Ask Nicole) and my race weekend.
- The importance of a Crew Chief to alleviate so much anxiety and lend logistical and mental support throughout the weekend. Thanks again Jeff.
- Racer Camaraderie in the bike and run were unmatched. The people that I rode and ran with are now true friends. At no time did any of us care about finishing ahead or behind each other. The common goal of maximizing your personal best was apparent with everyone I met. A former Olympian, an ER Doctor who was also a husband and father of two, many other parents and a surprise pacing friend John that popped out of the woods at the time I needed it most.
- Nothing can substitute training at elevation other than being at elevation. My God. Your body just does not understand the lack of oxygen up there. It is relentless and does not allow for mistakes.
- GU Brew and Roctane Gels. I drank over 300 ounces of energy drink, +14 GU Gels, +5 GU and Honey Stinger chews, Honey Stinger Waffles and another 100 ounces of water. My stomach was a little bloated, but my brother Jared's advice and plan of consuming more food and liquids on the downhills really worked for me and my body continued to take in the fuel instead of rejecting nutrition and making me sick.

Endurance races can be lonely, but you are never alone. I have found this out by the number of people that cared that I did this event and how well I performed. I will carry this with me during all future adventures.

Running that distance, on 17 hours of recovery, after you mountain bike raced the same course may not be for everyone. That is not the point. You can make any distance and any event your goal. And let me tell you, going into your event and reaching your goal will have a profound affect on your mind, body and soul. People take notice, throw their support behind you. This sense of community affects your personal growth and enhances your purpose in a way you never thought possible.

I am hungry for more and cannot wait until the next challenge comes along. Laramie Enduro 111k Mtn Bike Race

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Joe for sharing your journey and inspiration with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your toes nails will fall off. Just Saying.

    Awesome work out there. Cant wait to come out and visit again. There is nothing like the feeling of elevation when coming from sea level. 8 weeks out from my first 50 miler. Coming off a 90 mile week in the 100 plus degree, 80 % humidity weather has me stoked. I am feeling so strong after it. Thanks for the mid-week chat this week to booster my confidence get me to my goal of 90 miles this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, congrats on the great finish... I also completed the Silver King, albeit 4 hours after you :-) (Justin Colwell)...

    Look forward to checking out your blog, to find out how someone in the nearly identical position in life (2 sub 6 year old boys, great wife, Libra) attains such an impressive time. My goal is sub 15 hours next year....

    justin_colwell@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete