Monday, April 25, 2011

Cheyenne Mtn 50k

RACE REPORT

As I toed the line of my first official trail running race, the vibe and mood were different. Not the usual uptight, I am goin' get you sucka attitude floating around. This was organic and fun. The air was brisk and the clouds lingered over the mountains; it was going to be a great morning in Colorado Springs. Participants were nervous and a little anxious, a first time race course will do that to anyone. How do you prepare to race a 50k run without knowledge of past results or race reports?

Well, apparently trail runners don't care about "knowing". They bind together as a unit and work towards everyone's success and happiness on the trail that day. This atmosphere is new to me and proved to be very energizing and damned refreshing! I have always been a vocal cheerleader while I am racing, constantly shouting out encouragement to other participants and thanking volunteers. On the trails Saturday, I was a dime a dozen. About time.

We took off out of the gates and it felt like a modest intensity, but when I looked at the Garmin, the 6:24 pace was not what I wanted to see, so I backed off and settled into my tempo. Entering the single track in 6th position. The quick tempo only that lasted a few minutes and we were climbing, climbing and climbing again. I was able to hold onto one of the elite entrants for the first few miles and passed him as he tied off his shoe; glad I had doubled knotted, seems elementary... Then two young guns caught me and liked the pace. We became best friends within minutes as we established our pecking order.

I was able to hold a great rhythm and the three of us flew up and down the trails, yacking away like a morning at Starbucks. Being able to meet other competitors on the trail, strike up a conversation made this one of the most enjoyable races I have ever competed in. Our first 16 mile loop felt great and our time of 2:09 was really solid. Apparently the three lead runners were not much further up the trail. But we kept talking away and headed out for our second loop.

I was feeling good, but not too excited about having to consume another 3 GU gels over the next 16 miles. I love my GU drink and gels, but after 3 gels and a bottle of drink, my stomach started to grumble. On lap 2, my legs didn't start to feel tired until we hit mile 24 and began the final section, unfortunately this was a 1000 climb with some real steep gain. My race pals were able to keep their turnover high and I had to let them take off up the trail. This final section was a much a struggle physically as it was mentally.  You are almost all alone in the woods, secluded and far from the race finish.  The thoughts of doubt quickly enter your mind, but vanish as soon as you realize your two legs are the only way you are getting off the trail. 

I finished very strong and was amazed at how well I felt as I crossed the finish line in 6th place overall at 4 hours and 34 minutes.  My legs were trashed and I knew that my form faltered as the miles rolled on, I could really feel it in my knees.  When I realized that the winner at 4:09 and the second place competitor, a former National Champ trail runner only finished 25 minutes up on me, I was ecstatic.  This race was so organized, had great tee shirts, staffed by tons of volunteers that offered so much support and I plan to compete on this course for years to come. I learned that my training is right in line and that as I add more mileage to my long days, the ultra races should get easier.  I also need to figure out an additional form of race day nutrition to augment all the sugary substances. I am feeling great and super energized.  Next up, the Colfax Marathon in 3 weeks, going to be exciting. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81049892

3 comments:

  1. So amazing! You totally rocked this thing! I absolutely cannot wait to join in one of these adventures one of these days! ...you're my teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,
    Your Dad & I are always surprised by the new challenges you create for yourself! I can't help but think how my Dad would say he doesn't understand why you do what you do, but he would have a great time telling all his friends about it. Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete