Friday, May 27, 2011

PASSION

I care about many things in my life, but I am passionate about a select few. My family, friends and fitnessing! When do I cross over from just caring about something to becoming passionate? For me, this threshold is crossed when my inner drive takes over and slams the pedal to the floor, removing my mind and hands from the wheel and charging my heart with the responsibility of steering. The new operator proves more than capable and extremely passionate, providing me with a clear, focused path of working towards and excelling at my goals.

I am truly passionate about my summer racing goals and achieving a full mind and body conversion into ultra distance racing. I have had a small taste of the level of commitment it takes to compete in a long distance race (32 mile trail run), provide the body a short recovery time and race another distance event (street marathon at elevation). I am pleased with the results and happy with how my body has held up over the those 4 weeks. To be honest, the most difficult part of the last 2 weeks has been controlling my compulsiveness to get out and run and bike as much as humanly possible. My typical training platform. Therefore, tapering for a week, racing and then recovering was a hard 12 days. My passion can work against me at those times, luckily my coach and mentor was reminding me of the greater goal.

My current training designated last week as a cycling ramp up with more focused efforts and intensity. I have been riding all year, but nothing that would classify me as tour ready. Therefore, I was quite surprised when I did my first legitimate road ride up Deer Creek Canyon and took nearly 4 minutes off of my previously recorded best time. I was shocked and excited, renewing my cycling vigor and affirming how much I love to ride. Steering that passion towards the two huge mountain bike races I have this summer in Leadville and Laramie.

With a huge work load at the office and not much time, on Thursday I got after my running again. This was my first speed work in many weeks and it felt great. Getting out for 8 miles and clipping off 6:20's at Wash Park on a glorious day. Genius.

At times, driving along a parallel road, having simultaneous endurance goals can be trying, heading in the same direction with my passion powering full speed ahead. Can my heart can handle it, loving and sharing the best of times with my beautiful wife and boys while cruising along my euphoric world of ultra running and cycling?

B.S. this is what I am built for and my passion will be my guide and dictate my greatness.


Dialed in and focused...

No comments:

Post a Comment